Water-Gate products come in sectional units and can be configured in many ways. The unit shown on this page is just one example; there are many other sizes. Pricing is shown below.
Call us to discuss your needs and order (1-800-318-4159). To learn more, see our Water-Gate Water Barrier overview page.
- Portable water barrier designed to create an instant dam for water flow.
- Adapts to a wide variety of uses: Dam or channel a stream, create a temporary cofferdam for aquatic construction work, or create an instant water source for firefighting in remote locations.
- Easy to install: The dam can be set up quickly, in many cases by a single person in just a few minutes.
- Automatic deployment: Barrier unfolds on its own as the water rises into it.
- Multiple Water-Gate barriers can be connected together to form longer dams.
- Flexible: Can bend to contour to the shape of a stream bed or create a curved perimeter of an aquatic construction site.
- Reusable: Durable construction is designed to be used over and over, for years - even in winter.
- Note: Water-Gate WA Barrier can also be used to contain oil or chemical spills. For information on these applications, see our separate Water-Gate spill containment page.
How Water-Gate Instant Dams Work: Containing water by utilizing the water’s own weight.
- Unroll the Water-Gate barrier in the desired position and secure the front bib with ballast or rocks.
- As water fills the Water-Gate, the water’s weight secures the bottom of the barrier to the ground and its pressure pushes the barrier’s pocket open, automatically activating the dam.
- Waater-Gate’s dimensions make it exceptionally stable. The bottom surface of the barrier is 4 times greater than its water retention height, so that the water’s downward force against the bottom of the barrier greatly exceeds its horizontal force against the barrier’s unfolded wall. By harnessing the water’s weight in this proportion, the dam remains stable on the ground.
- Simple removal: To remove the dam, lift one end of its bottom bib to let water flow under it. Clean, dry, and roll the dam up to be ready for its next deployment.
Water-Gate WA Barriers’ Many Uses: Create an Instant Dam
- Dam or channel a stream or pond.
- Create a temporary cofferdam for dewatering and aquatic construction work such as excavation, culvert installation, or maintenance work.
- Turn a stream into an instant, low-cost, and renewable water reservoir for fire fighting in remote areas.
- Install on a wide variety of surfaces (dirt, grass, gravel, asphalt, etc). Water-Gate’s flexible material allows it to bend to accommodate obstacles.
- Cover large areas, by connecting many Water-Gate barriers together to form a long dam.
- Fast, easy installation: Unroll the barrier and secure its front bib. A barrier can often be unrolled by a single person in just minutes.
- Rapid, automatic deployment: Water pressure opens the Water-Gate dam automatically.
- Flexibility: The dam contours to the shape of the ground and can bend to create a barrier of the shape needed for the application.
- Versatility: Useful in a wide variety of situations and conditions, including in cold winter temperatures. Dam can activate from a weak trickle or rapid flow of water.
- Extendable: Many barriers can be attached together to form a long dam.
- Minimal equipment needed: Does not require manual inflation. Lightweight design minimizes transportation effort and manpower needs.
- Quick, easy removal: Lift up one end (bottom bib front part) and let water flow under the barrier. Significantly easier than removing and disposing of heavy sandbags.
- Reusable: Made from heavy duty 18 oz PVC fabric and strong straps, Water-Gate is designed to be reused again and again, for many years. After deployment, clean the barrier with a pressure washer, dry it, and store it conveniently for its next use.
- Easy to store: The dam rolls up into a compact bundle, allowing for easy storage.
- Ready to use: Water-Gate comes ready to be deployed, right out of the box.
- Several barrier heights available: Water-Gate barriers come in a variety of heights. See chart below for specifics.
- Easy maintenance and repair: No maintenance is required – simply clean, dry, and roll up the barrier after use. In the unusual case of a rip, Water-Gate can be repaired easily. It can even be patched while in the water, since the water’s pressure seals the patch.
- Environmentally friendly: Barriers are designed for use on the ground or in water without harming the environment. The WA Barrier includes an anti-mining bib to prevent erosion in the streambed if water flows over the top of the dam.
Accessories and Customization Available: Call for information
- A number of accessories are available, including spillways/weirs, stakes, ballast bags, and pumps, allowing Water-Gate to be adapted to specific applications.
- Water-Gate barriers can be customized, for instance with release holes allowing water to flow through the bottom of the dam.
- The WA Barrier is folded in a way that allows for quick deployment in water.
- Made of polyester fabric coated with PVC. It is ultra robust and abrasion resistant for installations on a wide variety of surfaces.
- Compact partitions allow the frontal flap to be free for pumping water and permit safe access when installing in streams.
- Metal rings or polypropylene straps to facilitate certain types of installations.
- Anti-mining bib prevents soil erosion if water passes over the barrier.
- Tear-resistant polypropylene handles for easy deployment, carrying, and manipulation.
Sizes and Pricing
See chart below for available sizes and pricing. Call for shipping costs and to order.
Retention level x Length
Retention level x Length
lbs / kg
|WA-1525||15" x 25’||38 cm x 7.6 m||28.4 / 12.9||$1,035|
|WA-1550||15" x 50’||38 cm x 15.2 m||54.8 / 24.9||$1,917|
|WA-2130||21" x 30'||53 cm x 9.1 m||46 / 20.9||$1,404|
|WA-2150||21" x 50’||53 cm x 15.2 m||76.0 / 34.5||$2,277|
|WA-2825||28" x 25'||71 cm x 7.6 m||58 / 26.4||$1,431|
|WA-2835||28" x 35'||71 cm x 10.7 m||80 / 36.4||$1,917|
|WA-2850||28" x 50'||71 cm x 15.2 m||111 / 51||$2,682|
|WA-3930||39" x 30’||1 m x 9.1 m||160 / 72.7||$4,185|
|WA-3950||39" x 50'||1 m x 15.2 m||267 / 121||$6,750|
|WA-6030||60" x 30’||1.5 m x 9.1 m||242 / 110||$7,290|
|WA-6050||60" x 50'||1.5 m x 15.2 m||400 / 182||$12,060|
- Shipping charges apply. Call for specific shipping costs for your location.