Use Water-Gate Barriers to contain oil and chemical spills, trap pollutants on both land and water, and aid in environmental clean-up.
Water-Gate barriers come in sectional units and can be configured in several ways, for instance as a portable barrier to contain liquid spills or with optional release holes (shown in diagram above) to create an underflow dam to trap floating pollutants.
The model priced on this page is just one example (model WT-2125-24RH with 24 release holes, $2082). Pricing for common configurations are shown in the table below. Call us to discuss your application and order (1-800-318-4159). See our Water-Gate overview page to learn more about How Water-Gate barriers work.
- Portable oil and chemical spill containment barrier and instant dam.
- Adapts to a wide variety of uses: Contain oil or chemical spills on land or water, deploy as a precautionary measure against potential spills, and use to create underflow or overflow dams in bodies of water.
- Fast and easy to install: Requires very little manpower, in many cases a single person can set up a dam in a matter of minutes, allowing for rapid response to emergencies. No major tools or energy sources required to install or operate Water-Gate.
- Automatic deployment: Barrier unfolds on its own as liquid rises into it. Barriers can also be pre-deployed by inserting a small number of poles in its inner walls to raise the dam manually in preparation for a possible spill.
- Multiple Water-Gate barriers can be connected together to control long spill zones.
- Flexible: Can bend to contour to the shape of the ground (stream bed, roads, ditches, etc) or create a curved perimeter around a spill containment area.
- Reusable: Durable construction is designed to be used over and over, for years - even in winter.
- Note: In addition to oil and chemical spill applications, Water-Gate WA Barriers can also be used to dam water flow for construction, firefighting, and environmental work. For information on these applications, see this separate page: Water-Gate WA instant dam for water flow.
How Water-Gate Instant Dams Work: Containing liquids by using the liquid’s own weight.
- Unroll the Water-Gate barrier in the desired position and secure the front bib with ballast or rocks.
- As water fills the Water-Gate, the water’s weight secures the bottom of the barrier to the ground and its pressure pushes the barrier’s pocket open, automatically activating the dam.
- The barrier can also be manually deployed by inserting a small number of poles in its inner walls to raise the dam in preparation for a possible spill.
- Water-Gate’s dimensions make it exceptionally stable. The bottom surface of the barrier is 4 times greater than its retention height, so that the liquid’s downward force against the bottom of the barrier greatly exceeds its horizontal force against the barrier’s unfolded wall. By harnessing the liquid’s weight in this proportion, the dam remains stable on the ground.
- Simple removal: To remove the dam, lift one end of its bottom bib to let water flow under it, or wait for it to close automatically once the liquid has been pumped out or otherwise removed. Clean, dry, and roll the dam up to be ready for its next deployment.
Water-Gate’s Many Uses: Portable Spill Containment
- Quickly contain oil, chemical, and other industrial spills on both land and water.
- Dam bodies of water to stop the spread of water pollutants.
- Create underflow dams to trap floating substances, using optional release holes. Once the spill is controlled, cleaning equipment like booms, skimmers, or vacuums can be put to use efficiently. Overflow dams can also be created using diverter accessories.
- Contain water that has been used to extinguish fires, preventing the spread of contaminants.
- Pre-deploy around potential spill areas as a precautionary measure – for example around an overturned tanker or chemical storage area.
- Install on a wide variety of surfaces (dirt, grass, gravel, asphalt, etc). Water-Gate’s flexible material allows it to bend to accommodate obstacles.
- Equip first responders to quickly control spills while awaiting additional emergency-response resources.
- Connect many Water-Gate barriers together to cover large spill perimeters.
- Ideal component of a spill response kit for: Oil companies, transportation firms, industrial facilities, environmental remediation contractors, fire departments, municipalities, highway departments, etc.
- Fast, easy installation: Unroll the barrier and secure its front bib. A barrier can typically be unrolled by a single person in just a matter of minutes.
- Rapid, automatic deployment: Water pressure opens the Water-Gate dam automatically.
- Flexibility: The dam contours to the shape of the ground and can bend to create a barrier of the shape needed for the application.
- Versatility: Useful in a wide variety of situations and conditions, including in cold winter temperatures.
- Extendable: Many barriers can be attached together to form a long dam.
- Minimal equipment needed: Does not require manual inflation. Lightweight design minimizes transportation effort and manpower needs.
- Quick, easy removal: Lift up one end (bottom bib front part) and let water flow under the barrier. Significantly easier than removing and disposing of heavy sandbags.
- Reusable: Made from heavy duty 18 oz PVC fabric and strong straps, Water-Gate is designed to be reused again and again, for many years. After deployment, clean the barrier with a pressure washer, dry it, and store it conveniently for its next use.
- Easy to store: The dam rolls up into a compact size, allowing for easy storage.
- Ready to use: Water-Gate comes ready to be deployed, right out of the box.
- Several barrier heights available: Water-Gate barriers come in a variety of heights. See chart below for specifics.
- Easy maintenance and repair: No maintenance is required – simply clean, dry, and roll up the barrier after use. In the unusual case of a rip, Water-Gate can be repaired easily. It can even be patched while in the water, since the water’s pressure seals the patch.
- Environmentally friendly: Barriers are designed for use on the ground or in water without harming the environment. The WA Barrier includes an anti-mining bib to prevent erosion in the streambed if water flows over the top of the dam.
Accessories and Customization Available: Call for information
- A number of accessories are available, including spillways/weirs, stakes, ballast bags, and pumps, allowing Water-Gate to be adapted to specific applications.
- As mentioned above, Water-Gate barriers can be fitted with optional release holes allowing water to flow through the bottom of the dam. Pricing is $22.50 per hole. See chart below for maximum number of holes for each barrier size.
- Constructed of heavy duty 18 oz. PVC fabric and polyester resistant to many major chemical substances. See details on Water-Gate’s chemical resistance.
- Inner walls fitted with insert orifice for pole attachment.
- Dam attachment via Velcro system.
- Release hole flaps (Velcro) available. Call for information.
- User friendly pictograms are printed on the barriers.
Sizes and Pricing
See chart below for available sizes and pricing. Call for shipping costs and to order.
Retention level x Length
Retention level x Length
lbs / kg
(base price w/o release holes)
Maximum # of release holes* per dam
|WT-2115||21" x 15'||53 cm x 4.6 m||23.5 / 10.5||$909||14|
|WT-2125||25" x 25'||38 cm x 15.2 m||53 / 7.6||$1,410||24/td>|
|WT-2130||21" x 30'||53 cm x 9.1 m||45.4 / 20.6||$1.560||29|
|WT-2150||21" x 50'||53 cm x 15.2 m||73.8 / 33.5||$2,530||49|
|WT-2815||28" x 15'||71 cm x 4.6 m||35 / 17||$1,094||14|
|WT-2825||28" x 25'||71 cm x 7.6 m||53.2 / 24.1||$1,590||24|
|WT-2835||28" x 35'||75.2 cm x 34.1 m||53.2 / 24||$2,130||34|
|WT-2850||28" x 50'||71 cm x 15.2 m||103 / 46.7||$2,980||49|
|WT-3915||39" x 15’||1 m x 4.6 m||71.8 / 33||$2,325||14|
|WT-3930||39" x 30'||1 m x 9.1 m||143.6 / 65.3||$4,650||29|
|WT-3950||39" x 50'||1 m x 15.2 m||239.6 / 121||$7,500||49|
* Release Hole Pricing: $28 per hole
- Shipping charges apply. Call for specific shipping costs for your location.